Monday, June 12, 2006

Holistic moms

I just have to tell you about this wonderful, amazing group! I finally have found a place where as a mom, I can gather with other moms and be totally honest and open. I can ask questions and get real answers, along with meeting honest caring people. I am just really at peace and at home with Holistic Moms. I am so grateful that such a group like this exists. I realize the importance of mothers being together and supporting one another.

Tonites meeting was about "Food Choices" and how and why we eat the way we do. Members sat in a circle and were to go around the room and tell what healthy food they enjoy eating, what non-healthy food they also enjoy, what food they absolutely won't give their family, and finally do you judge people who eat different than you. In most places this type of meeting could get a bit ugly since people are very opinionated, and rightfully so. Well tonite, as typical of Holistic ,people were just very honest and open with their answers. Most women talked about how they feel stressed that they don't have time to prepare a healthy meal and then end up at MCdonalds sometimes, others said that they kill themselves to make a healthy meal and then feel resentful at times. People talked about being vegetarian for 10 years, now going back to eating meat and feeling guilty. Many people talked about the difficulty of feeding toddlers since they're so picky and tried to exchange ideas with each other. Most of what I heard from the women surrounded their lack of time and energy to cook a good dinner for their family. Most of the women have more than one children, or a newborn who needs to nurse all the time and they're never hands free to cook. So true! I heard the moms of babies less than 5 months old sounding very stressed that they're never hands free. I was able to share that I have been more hands free since Olivia turned 6 months and I could see the look of relief crossing a few faces. :)

So it was a great meeting and a safe place for all to share, and thats really what I love about the group. I talked about how I'm needing to make a descision on whether to raise Olivia vegetarian, and how I"ve been having some uncertainty on the issue. Her food has been a major stressor for me becuase I want to give her healthy options and do the right thing for her. I get overwhelmed by information overload. But I have good intentions and hopefully my brain and heart will come together and make a descision that will work for Olivia. I am just grateful that I found this group and find it very supportive for my mothering adventures. I've been to other meetings where people are judged and it seems as though an agenda is being pushed. This isn't like that and I think thats why the women can gather and be open and honest with each other.

No comments: