Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Crazy, wacky, Holiday

I don't even know what to say about this 2007 Christmas season. I have been filled with tension over getting it all done, buying the gifts, planning the meal, tying up travel plans, whether to travel, whether to surrender and stay home, and what to stop doing right now! Aaaaah. Breath Lisa....just breathe. Great...now I'm talking to myself...this will really help my tension right now. Next year Jenn and I decided that we're starting our shopping in July, and that December will only be about planning the food, and sending out Christmas cards. Sounds good to me...sounds delightful, except that I still can't help but feel like Christmas is all consuming. And for what?? I love cultural rituals, many are beautiful and bring families closer together, but I have to say....does Christmas really do that? I believe that Christmas might be more beautiful if it were simpler. Perhaps there are still ways to savor Christmas, and take it back, without the mass market commercialized madness, and actually have a spiritual expierience. Isn't that what its supposed to be? Aren't we supposed to be rejoicing over the birth of Christ? If we look at other cultural rituals, or holy days, they are days of fasting, and then an enormous feast. Christmas is all messed up with Santa, shopping, eating for the whole month, becoming worn out, and then planning a two day meal extravaganza...oh and don't forget to stop in church and pause for alittle while.

Do I sound cynical. I'm not...actually my brain is just rewiring to bring back some of the beauty of the Holiday. I am still yearning for something deeper...and I've found a few things that I could incorporate in the years ahead thanks to my Holisitic Moms Group. One idea was to give Olivia 3 gifts, just as the wise men gave Jesus, and have them represent Mind, Body, & Spirit. I love that idea, and we could really put our hearts together to find some thoughtful high quality gifts that would carry her into the future. I have also searched for spiritually inspired books to give her, that would be age appropriate, and I've found a few that she'll be given this year, along with Mr. Potatoe Head and tub toys! ha!

Thanks for reading my rant. I love Christmas, and I'm just trying to establish what it means to me, and what I want to impart on Olivia.

1 comment:

Mom of Mattie said...

I am the same way. Too stressed to stop and think...it isn't about the gifts. But people make it out to be, instead of the day that Christ was born. Too much stress over which house we have to be at and when.... how are we too pay for all these gifts and fuel oil too?
Merry Hecking Christmas. :)