Friday, April 27, 2007

Garbage Land


I am on a reading frenzy again. I started the week reading "Baby Love" by Rebecca Walker. I wasn't terribly thrilled with it, but it was a nice even read. I finished it in 24 hours, and I still don't know how that happened. I'm just craving books again and it feels good. Now I'm starting on "Garbage Land....on the secret trail of trash" by Elizabeth Royte. The book is fascinating and takes the reader on a journey following all of the things that we dispose of. I'm intrigued and can't put it down. I wonder at least 3 times a day what happens to our trash. Where does it go? When I stumbled upon this book I purchased it right away. I have wondered about our trash and what happens to it everytime I eat something that I didn't prepare, buy a cup of coffee, or open something surrounded in plastic. I wonder how big of a footprint are we leaving on this poor planet when 90% of the stuff that I throw away won't biodegrade for 2000 years? What sort of world are we preparing for our kids to inherit? This book gives the reader the complete inside scoup the journey of our trash, starting from the minute that we throw it out. The book is the authors travelogue as she journeyed around the country in search of answers, and following our trash. Very cool.

Would love to hear what everyone else is reading? :)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm reading your blog, does that count? I miss reading :(